Mephistopheles is a grim woman with a deadly secret. She seeks the assistance of Yurt, the Silent Chief, and later the player if Yurt is killed. She also wishes the death of key NPCs in the Nexus; specifically, those with knowledge of the Soul Arts. Upon completion of her requests, Mephistopheles will say that the Order of the Soul has commanded her to remove all those who know the ways of Soul Arts from Boletaria, the player included, in order to keep the ancient rite a secret.
Nexus, second floor using the outer staircase (ie. not the one with the Archstones), with Stockpile Thomas behind you (Unlockable)
Note: If you still can't see her, exit the Nexus and return. If you fulfill the requirements while you're inside the Nexus, Mephistopheles will not appear until you re-enter.
Only appears after reaching Pure Black Character Tendency Note that if you are planning on getting the Friend's ring, you should get this before starting the Mephistopheles quest or otherwise taking actions that darken your Character Tendency because it is harder to get to Pure White than Pure Black and getting to Pure White once you've gone to Pure Black becomes much harder (2 playthroughs killing only named NPC BPs instead of just one playthrough).
- She offers you rewards in turn for assassinating other NPCs
- If an assassination target is already dead, Mephistopheles will skip to the next person on the list. You do not recieve a reward
- You have to talk to her after every assassination and be handed the next task to actually receive the individual rewards.
- When all assassinations are complete and you speak to her for your reward, she will attack you after giving you the reward
- NPCs you assassinate are gone for the rest of the game, but will respawn once you complete the game and enter another cycle (once normal conditions are met for them to move to the Nexus). If you've killed Freke and Yuria you can no longer change your equipped Magic. If you kill Urbain you can no longer change your equipped Miracles. Once they are dead, you will have the same Magic and Miracles until you finish the game and beat Phalanx in the next cycle
- If you kill Mephistopheles, she will drop the following:
Assassination Sidequest and Rewards
Many of the NPCs in the Nexus can easily be killed by casting normal spells (Poison Cloud works a treat) or using your melee weapon of choice. However, a few of them merit special attention:
- An easy way of killing everyone on the list as quick as possible is using the Clever Rat's Ring and Morion Blade trick. Use your fastest weapon, that deals a lot of damage and keeps them locked in a combo. Straight Swords are good for this. You will do massive amounts of damage per hit and maybe kill them before they can react, if you have enough stamina. The only exceptions would be high hp characters like Ostrava and Biorr.
- An easy way for magic users to kill everyone is call up Homing Soul Arrow and a sword with a strong thrust. Once you thrust, the Homing Soul Arrow will target. If your magic is high enough all five shots will hit. If they survive they shouldn't need more than 1-2 quick swings.
- All of the targets are vulnerable to Death Cloud, allowing you to simply cast the spell and wait if you have the patience or are simply having problems killing them. (Note: As you accept each assassination request the target will remain friendly until you attack them, however most simply do not notice if you use Death Cloud, except Ostrava who remains friendly until under 25% health. At which point he becomes hostile)
- For ranged assassinations use a mixture of the Clever Rat's Ring, Morion Blade, and Thief's Ring with a strong bow. Shoot once and the NPCs get up. They remain standing in place since they don't recognize an attacker. A second shot should kill them. Just remember to kill Urbain's and Freke's followers first, since they'll turn hostile if you defeat their respective masters.
- Every NPC can be killed in one hit using Soulsucker.
Freke & Urbain
You don't want to give Freke or Urbain a chance to counter-attack. Ambush them with God's Wrath and then knock them down with the Meat Cleaver; or a similar large melee weapon, when they try to get up. You should be able to kill them before they can gather themselves.
Don't get too cocky against Patches. His spear is a deadly weapon, and he also has an Adjudicator's Shield to regenerate his hit points, so he's not quite the pushover that he might seem. Though, as long as you're careful, you can take him out just about any way you want.
Note: If you have rescued Biorr, the last chance to kill him is right after you have defeated the Blue Dragon. If you leave for the Nexus without killing him, or walk too far away from him, he will disappear for good.
Biorr will also stay in his cell for the duration of the game, as long as he's not rescued. If you have already killed the Blue Dragon or Old King Allant, he must be killed right after being released, since going to the Nexus will make him disappear for good.
Possible bug: Sometimes Biorr will not attack you at all even if you do repeated 2 handed heavy melee attack or backstab attacks.
If this happens, you will still get the reward from Mephistopheles. This only happens in The Nexus.
Note: Speaking to Ostrava and making him suicide in 1-4 just before Old King Allant, wont count as a kill, thus you wont get the reward. Walking past him will also result in him killing himself, so you'll have to attack him while he's sitting in the staircase, without talking to him. He will still drop the Mausoleum Key when killed.
Unlike the other two spell trainers, Yuria has a wicked temper, and will become hostile within the first few attacks. If you ambush her with God's Wrath, she'll quickly recover and counter with Firestorm, which will likely kill you, regardless of your Soul Level, equipment, or defensive spells. To play it safe, get a good bow and some heavy arrows, hide behind the Archstones (the Shrine Of Storms side of the steps), and slowly wear her down. She'll throw fire at you, but from that distance, it's easy to dodge her attacks. If she positions herself out of range, walk over to the other side of the Nexus, behind the place where Urbain's female follower normally sits, and you'll have a clear shot at Yuria until she moves back to her original position. Casting the Anti-Magic Field Spell and using a melee attack also works against Yuria.
An easy way to kill Mephistopheles is to keep her just out of melee range and zap her with Soul Arrow until she dies, blocking her attacks with a good shield. Just don't let her touch you, as she will use the Soulsucker Spell
Use Mephistopheles as an easy way to delevel. You can be soul sucked up to 4 times during your battle with her. This is most easily achieved if you keep within melee range of her with your shield up. Once you have blocked 1-2 of her attacks and she has staggered, she will usually pull out her catalyst and cast Soulsucker
All dialogue text is © Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Voiced by: Hannah McBride