There are a few different level ranges, and varying requirements, for the various multiplayer interactions in Demon's Souls.
Level Range Formulas
The level range formulas in Demon's Souls are calculated from the perspective of the host, not the summoned/ invading phantoms. For the given formulae below, x = the level of the host, and the resulting ranges are the levels of the players who can enter the host's world.
These items use the standard co-op range. Players can be paired with others who are relatively near their level, using what is commonly referred to as the "10 + 10%" calculation.
x +/- (10 + 0.1x)
- Level 50 can summon: 35 - 65
- Level 100 can summon: 80 - 120
Two different formulas are used to find the upper and lower limits of the range. The lower limit is shifted slightly below the co-op range by a couple levels, while the maximum level an invader can be is always 2 levels beneath the host.
x - (12 + 0.1x) (lower-level limit)
x - 2 (upper-level limit)
- Level 50 can be invaded by: 33 - 48
- Level 100 can be invaded by: 78 - 98
Note that a Level 1 or Level 2 host cannot ever be invaded by someone using the Black Eye Stone, apart from the Old Monk fight (which uses a different range).
The Old Monk encounter can pull players into PvP as this boss when any of the three above items are used in Latria 3-2 or 3-3. However, their normal ranges are ignored. A player may be anywhere between 40 levels below to 10 levels above the host.
x - 40 (lower-level limit)
x + 10 (upper-level limit)
- Level 50 can be invaded by 10 - 60
- Level 100 can be invaded by 60 - 110
Item Use Requirements
|Requires Phantom Form?|
|Blue Eye Stone||Yes|
|Red Eye Stone||No|
|Black Eye Stone||Yes|
Host must always be in Human form. Visit items' individual pages for more details.
Level Range Calculators
Level Range Calculator (website) - Input any level to find out all of the possible level ranges for each multiplayer perspective.
- When calculating a level range, if a decimal place is created by the 0.1x part of the equation, the resulting decimal place is truncated entirely, resulting in a rounding down to the nearest whole number. This is done before adding or subtracting it to the player's original level.
- To get summoned intentionally by The Old Monk against a certain player, you should have your sign down or attempt an invasion shortly before the host begins ascending the staircase. These items should already be active or searching, in order for a host to be able to pull someone into their world.