This is a single player's guide to getting the Demon's Souls platinum trophy in 10 easy stages. Single player means all on your own, no Blue Phantom help, no Black Phantom invasions and with no dupes from other player's.
There are 38 trophy's to collect, and with this guide you can get it in around 10-30 hours, depending on skill level and luck.
With this guide, we will be using the self duping technique, and we aim to get the platinum early into the 2nd playthrough. Note that if you choose not to duplicate items, this guide remains valid. However, at least three successive playthroughs will be required to obtain the required number of Boss Souls to obtain the Platinum Trophy.
Because this platinum trophy requires special in game events, called Pure White & Pure Black World Tendency, all new player's should aim to play the game in Soul Form. Playing in body form is risky and you may regret it. Don't forget to start the game in Offline Mode to ensure that server medians don't alter your hard-earned World Tendency.
This is not a walkthrough. Use the Wiki alongside this guide.
Before we get started
- Choose your class - Royalty or Knight.
- D.I.Y - Learn the self duping technique and master it! You can master this as soon as you spawn in The Nexus, after the Tutorial, using the Nexial Binding. This video shows the Dupe It Yourself technique () and gives a description.
- Soul Form - every time you get revived, you should suicide to get your soul back. The best place for this is in the Nexus. This is because, if you die in the various worlds, it changes the Worlds Tendency to Black, and we aim to get it to Pure White, to unlock essential weapons and areas.
- Level Up - it is possible to get this platinum as a Soul Level 1 Royalty, but you should level up. Vitality & Intelligence being the most useful.
- Monumental - gives you a YES / NO option. Select YES or you will not get the Friend's Ring later on.
- Demon's Souls - it's a good idea to self dupe each one after you collect it from killing each boss. They help you level up really quickly, and some are needed for multiple trophy's. This is what saves you from doing four or five playthroughs.
- Consumables - Self dupe important items like, Dark Moon Grass, Old Spice, Ephemeral Eyes Stones & White Arrows.
Stage 1 - Collect Treasure & Kill Demon's
- Collect Cling Ring, Thief's Ring, Jade Hair Ornament ( give to Stockpile Thomas for a Ring of Herculean Strength ), Scimitar & Lead Demon's Soul
- Rescue and protect Ostrava
- Kill Phalanx
- Collect Ring of Gash Resistance, Wooden Catalyst, Compound Short Bow, Winged Spear, Iron Demon's Soul
- Rescue and protect Ostrava
- Kill Tower Knight
- Collect Ring of Poison Resistance, Kris Blade, Crushing Battle Axe +1. Shards & Chunks of Hardstone, Sharpstone, Spiderstone & Clearstone. Shards of Dragonstone, Pure Spiderstone, Hard Demon's Soul
- Turn on the elevator to Blacksmith Ed
- Kill Armored Spider
- Collect Hands of God, Dragon Long Sword +1, Ring of Disease Resistance, Ring of Flame Resistance, Club, Dark Heater Shield +1, Shards of Greystone, Chunks of Dragonstone & Greystone, Pure Sharpstone & Hardstone, Red Hot Demon's Soul
- Free Patches the Hyena
- Kill Flamelurker
- Collect Ring of Magical Sharpness, Clever Rat's Ring, Geri's Stiletto, Baby's Nail, Mercury Rapier +1, Estoc, Claws, Secret Dagger, Shards & Chunks of Moonlightstone, Doll Demon's Soul
- Free Sage Freke
- Kill Fool's Idol
- Collect Fragrant Ring, Ring of Avarice, Epee Rapier, Moon Short sword +1, Shards & Chunks of Mercurystone, Mixed Demon's Soul
- May get Pure Moonlightstone1
- Free & Kill Yurt the Silent Chief
- Kill Maneater
- Collect Regenerator's Ring, Graverobber's Ring, Adjudicator's Shield, Crescent Falchion +1, Compound Long Bow, Shards of Darkmoonstone, Cloudstone, Bladestone, Grey Demon's Soul, Swollen Demon's Soul
- Free Graverobber Blige
- Kill Vanguard & Adjudicator
- Collect Ronin's Ring, Hiltless, Chunks of Darkmoonstone, Hero Demon's Soul
- May get Chunks & Pure Bladestone
- Free Saint Urbain & Patches the Hyena
- Kill Old Hero
- Collect Stormruler, Chunks of Cloudstone & Darkmoonstone, Storm Demon's Soul
- May get Pure Darkmoonstone
- Kill Storm King
- Collect Ring of Magical Dullness, Blessed Mace +1, Shards of Faintstone, Wriggling Demon's Soul
- May get Shards & Chunks of Marrowstone
- Kill Leechmonger
- Collect Cat's Ring, Broken Sword, Large Sword of Moonlight, Chunks of Faintstone, Shards of Suckerstone, Chunks of Suckerstone, Pure Suckerstone, Eroded Demon's Soul
- May get Shards & Chunks of Marrowstone, Pure Faintsone
- Kill Dirty Colossus
- Collect Pure Marrowstone, Pure Mercurystone, Pure Suckerstone, Ring of Sincere Prayer, Dark Silver Shield, Pureblood Demon's Soul
- May get Pure Faintstone
- Kill Garl Vinland & Maiden Astraea
- Collect Official's Cap, Iron Ring of Keys, Pure Clearstone, Silver Demon's Soul.
- Free & protect Ostrava
- Collect Bloody Key, Ring of the Accursed, Ring of Magical Nature
- Free Biorr, Free Yuria
- Kill Penetrator
Stage 2 - Pure White World Tendency Events
If you did all of Stage 1 in Soul Form you should now have Pure White World Tendency in all five worlds. Time to go back.
Collect the Dragon Bone Smasher
Collect Key at top of the first tower
Collect Magic Sword Makoto
Stage 3 - Pure Black World Events & Getting Pure White Character Tendency
Now it gets slightly harder. But you should be strong enough. Remember that you should be leveling up, using strong weapons, and have plenty of Vitality.
You need to suicide in all worlds, in body form seven times each. This unlocks the five named Black Phantoms. Killing them all will give you the needed Pure White Character Tendency, and some more weapons. Use Ephemeral Eye Stones, that you should have self duped by now. Note that killing these Black Phantoms with Poison Cloud, Death Cloud or Soulsucker will result in no change in Character Tendency. This will require you to go through at least one more playthrough, so try to avoid using Poison Cloud, Death Cloud or Soulsucker in these battles.
You only need to kill these two for your Pure White Character Tendency
Stage 4 - The Secret Miracle Recovery
This miracle is often missed, but it is needed to learn all the miracles required for the trophy.
Saint Urbain will teach you a miracle called Recovery. You must kill a Primeval Demon and collect a Colorless Demon's Soul before it unlocks. One of these appears in each world in Pure Black World Tendency. The easiest one is in 2-1. So head there, suicide 3 or 4 times until you get Pure Black World Tendency, and can see it at the bottom of the elevator across the bridge.
Once you have the CDS, self dupe it. You only need 3 Colorless Demon's Souls to learn the Recovery Miracle, but having 198 of them won't hurt. They come in handy for upgrading weapons of course.
Stage 5 - Magic, Miracles & Faith
- Now is a good time to learn all the Spells and Miracles. Because you are just about ready to kill the trainers. During Stage 1, after you got each Demon's Soul, you should have been self duping each one. A few of them are needed more than once to learn multiple Spells and Miracles. The 1-4 boss does not affect this.
- During this stage you will unlock the Saint's trophy, and have one spell left for the Sage's trophy, that comes in your second playthrough.
- Before you start stage 6, make sure you have your fave spell and miracle remembered. Poison Cloud & Second Chance are good choices.
- Also, level up Faith to 20, speak to the lady that's close to Saint Urbain. She gives you a free Pure Faintstone. This saves hassle, as you may not get a Pure from the 5-2 or 5-3 crystal Lizards.
Stage 6 - Mephistopheles Quest
This is essential. Mainly to get the Foe's Ring. To unlock this, you must have Pure Black Character Tendancy. If you kill the Crestfallen Warrior in the Nexus, the vendor's in 1-3, 2-1, 3-1, & 4-2. That should be enough. Kill the 5-2 vendor if Meph did not appear after those. Head up to the middle level of the Nexus and you meet Meph. She gives you assassination tasks. Remember that you have to talk to her after every assassination and be handed the next task to actually receive the individual rewards.
- Kill Saint Urbain. Collect Ring of Devout Prayer.
- Kill Sage Freke
- Kill Patches the Hyena
- Kill Biorr. Collect Large Brushwood Shield and Ring of Great Strength
- Kill Ostrava.2 Collect a second Talisman of Beasts.
- Kill Yuria. Collect Foe's Ring.
- Kill Mephistopheles. She attacks you after you collect the Foe's Ring. Easy fight though.
Stage 7 - Into the Palace
- Collect Penetrating Sword, White Bow, Tower Shield, Rune Sword, Rune Shield.
- Kill Ostrava without even talking to him! Rewards a Talisman of Beasts in part 5 of Stage 6. Collect the Mausoleum Key.
- Kill Blue Dragon. Very easy, with Soul Ray or White Arrows.
Do not kill the final boss yet. After you did all the above, return back to the Nexus, head to 1-1.
Stage 8 - Crafting & Farming
Standard Weapons - now is a great time to get all the remaining trophy's for weapon upgrading. By now you should easily have all the stones required to make at least nine of them. Use the various weapons already collected, like the Scimitar, Claws, Secret Dagger, Winged Spear, Crescent Falchion +1 etc etc etc…..
Hardstone, Sharpstone, Clearstone, Spiderstone, Mercurystone, Dragonstone, Suckerstone, Faintstone, Cloudstone.
The other five
Greystone - may need to farm 2-2 for a Chunk of Greystone
Bladestone - probably will need to farm 4-2 for a Pure Bladestone and Chunk of Bladestone *
Marrowstone - may need to farm 5-1 or 5-2 for a Chunk of Marrowstone
Moonlightstone - may not get a Pure. Only the Crystal Lizards in 3-2 & 3-3 drops them.Farm each one **
Darkmoonstone - may not get a Pure. Only the Crystal Lizards in 4-2 & 4-3 drops them. Farm each one **
* The Holy Grail of farming. Try the Black Skeleton in the secret passage of 4-2 in any World Tendency. Or in Pure Black World Tendency - the BP skeletons in 4-2.
** It is possible to get these two pures by chance. You may get lucky without even trying. If you do not. There is a way to keep spawning a Crystal Lizard. Wait until you're on your fourth and last spawn, and quit game with the screen still showing what stone you collected. If it's a chunk, quit game. It cancels the autosave. Repeat until you get a Pure. This takes time, because you have to reload the game each time. Or you can simply try a new batch of Crystal Lizards in your second playthrough.
Upgraded Uniques - you should now make the nine that you can, all of them except the Northern Regalia
Stage 9 - End Game
You can almost smell the shiny platinum…..
- Collect False King Demon's Soul
- Kill False King Allant. Easy at any level with Poison Cloud. Or man up and melee him.
- Collect Soulbrandt
- Kill King Allant
Warp back to the Nexus straight after you collect the sword. Either use a Shard of Archstone, Nexial Binding, Evacuate or even quitting and loading the game works. Take Soulbrandt & Demonbrandt to Blacksmith Ed and forge the Northern Regalia. ( unlocks Soldier's Trophy )
Stage 10 - New Game +
Or NG+. A new playthrough. You now have a nice Maiden in Black Demon's Soul. Simply clear 1-1 and 1-2 quickly. Get the Iron Ring of Keys again in 1-3. Free Yuria again the same way as before, you can use your old Official's Cap to save some time. Learn Soulsucker spell from Yuria to unlock Sage's trophy and hopefully Toughest Soul trophy.