- Your starting point. Despite the likelihood of you falling to your death here a few times by mistake, at least you can read the map easily enough. Gargoyles will try to ambush you on this map. Sometimes dropping out of the darkness overhead, and other times pretending to be statues along the path. Look for pairs of glowing red eyes to identify them before you approach.
- The left path leads to a Soul, and you will return to this spot later in the level. For now take the right path, but watch out for the Gargoyle ambush. On the next round platform there is a corpse on the backside of the torch sconce which has 6 Fresh Spice.
- A Gargoyle drops from the sky as you approach the tower. If you turn right and follow that path you can find a bunch of items, including a lot of Moonlightstones. Point 18 is here too, so remember this spot. When you are done, return to the inside of the tower and go clockwise to ascend the stairs.
- This little balcony is where you drop off to get the Rune Sword and Rune Shield. There are usually Messages or Bloodstains on the ground here if you play online. Take a small step out and aim for the walkway 20 feet below you. After you pick up the items you can step off onto the walkway back to the entrance. Continuing past point 4, as you approach the walkway, look up to find a Gargoyle attempting to ambush you from above. As you approach the area of Point 5, you can walk onto that leaning tower and get a Flamberge.
- You will be ambushed by multiple Gargoyles along this walkway. Some even wait for you to pass and will ambush you from behind if you just blindly sprint along.
- Before you climb up this tower, you can walk along that small lip on the outside, trigger the fog gate first to be safe. If you go a small distance to the right you will pick up some spice. Halfway up the tower a Gargoyle will ambush you. Despite the strange camera angles here, remember that you can block his attacks without much trouble. You can also blast him with Soul Arrow, using some of the free spice you found to keep yourself ready for a fight. Step past the elevator that lowers down to pick up a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes, then go on up. Be prepared to fight a Gargoyle when you get to the top.
- Kill the Dreglings here to snap one of the chains holding up that giant heart. Also, if you have White World Tendency, you can climb the stairs here and a bridge will be repaired. This is where you get the key to free Lord Rydell in 3-1, and to open the eastern hallway at point 11 in 3-1. When you wish you proceed, go down the staircase. You'll need to climb into those little cages to get lowered down to the Blood Swamp. Or, drop down to Point 8 to meet Yurt, the Silent Chief.
- Now that you dropped down here, the way to proceed is to let Yurt, the Silent Chief go free. While he is evil, feel free to ignore him for now. If you do fight him and he falls, the next time you enter this area his armor will be found in a bag near this area. Once you beat a boss after freeing him, he will show up on the second floor landing of the Nexus, that flat empty floor just above the Archstones. He'll start assassinating people if left alone. But kill him right away and you get two free Souls from new corpses added to the Nexus. You can also grab his Gloom Armor there without worrying about weight; just talk to Stockpile Thomas and return to the second floor landing to get the rest. After you free him, take his cage down to the Blood Swamp.
Warning: If you attack Yurt with either magic or range weapons without first talking to him, he will turn hostile. This means you cannot talk to him and therefore lose the opportunity to free him and take the cage down. You will effectively be stranded, since Yurts cage is the only way to proceed safely from this location. You will need to restart the level. Either Evacuate, use the nearby Shard of Archstone or suicide. When you next run the level, use the cage which precedes the drop onto Yurts location to continue.
- There is another Prisoner Horde in this area of the Blood Swamp. Fight him the same as the other one. Just hide behind one of the pillars nearby and trade ranged shots. Be wary of the Giant Man Centipedes as well. Not only do they have a jumping tackle that can break your guard, but when they split from their tail they spew vile junk on you that needs to be healed with a Lotus. Get the Fragrant Ring to the west of this point for MP Regeneration. Notice the Ring of Disease Resistance on the dead end hillside at the left of the swamp.
- Three Giant Man Centipedes wait in ambush here. Lure them out and kill them with ranged attacks. You don't want them to tackle you or give you the Plague by participating in three-on-one fight.
- Say hello to your first Black Phantom Guard. It's a Mind Flayer so be prepared for his ranged magical attacks. This guy patrols on the stairs here. Try hiding behind a pillar on the right and attacking his back when walks away from you. He is slow to turn if you sprint towards him and strike.
- There is a Giant Man Centipede behind the pillar here. So don't go stepping out blindly. And be prepared as there is another one that follows.
- You'll notice a Crystal Lizard here, near the far Giant Man Centipede. Be careful as one of the Giant Man Centipedes is hiding behind the second tentacle. If you spook the Crystal Lizard and he falls to his death, you can backtrack to the walkway leading up to Point 11 and pick up the Moonlightstones (Chunk and Pure) from his corpse. Also, notice that you can walk between the two tentacles at this point for some Old Spice.
- As you walk past this wall, be wary of a Crossbow Gargoyle flying on your right side. He may kill you if you walk along blindly.
- Pick up the soul on this tower than wait, and wait, and possibly wait some more for the express elevator to show up. As you ride up it, be ready for the ambushing Gargoyle at the top. Raise your shield and boldly step off the elevator ready to fight.
- This is the second chain tower. As before, kill the Dreglings casting the spell to keep the chain intact. The heart should now collapse, opening the way to the boss, and to a nice treasure cache.
- Be wary of the Gargoyle who attacks from the darkness as you get ready to approach the end of this walkway. Once you drop down, you are near the beginning of the level again. Be wary of new Giant Man Centipedes released from the destroyed heart.
- Enter the now-crushed heart tower and go right and proceed down the stairs outside to reach this point, being careful of the new Giant Man Centipedes . Take a counter-clockwise path through this inner area. This puts you behind a number of the Giant Man Centipede inside. For your troubles you get a Ring of Avarice a Gold Mask, an Epee Rapier, and some Souls and Old Spice and a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes. When done, return to the previous area and climb the tower again.
- This time you can keep going clockwise and climb a free-hanging staircase. There is a Renowned Hero's soul behind the staircase. The lip on the outside protects you from falling off on that side, but the inside is open and treacherous.
- There is another Black Phantom Mind Flayer here. Wait for him to approach then turn his back. Sprint forward and attack him with melee or ranged attacks. Run away before he turns around completely. Sprint down the stairs a bit and, when he stops running and begins looking left and right, get ready to double back. Once he turns away again, repeat the process until he dies.
- Behind the stairs at the top is a Storied Hero's soul. This fog gate leads to the boss. But first, go past it for lots of Old Spice. This will fuel any Magic buffs you want to use for the bosses. Also, double back above the staircase you just climbed to get a Soul.
- The fog gate opens onto Maneater. See the Maneater page for more information.